So, I’m in my room, cleaning out my closet, when I see a commercial for “Plato’s Closet”, a well known boutique that you can sell “gently used” clothing to. A light went off in my head….after all, it is a recession….LOL. I packed up about 10 pairs of pants (some with the tags still on them….I know HORRIBLE), and a few shirts, and went happily to the store. I go in, and answer the basic questions about if I’ve ever shopped with them before, and do I know the store policies. I was told to wait about 15-20 mins while they sort my items. So, I look around the store, checking out what they sell, and I notice that everything in the store is TINY. Not just small, but super, duper, TINY. Initially, it didn’t bother me, because I’m used to having the “Plus Sizes” or “Women Sizes” or whatever other label they put on it in the back of the store, or mixed in with the clearance.
As I approach the cash register, I notice that most of my bundle is STILL in the laundry bag. I ask the sales person why, and she says “Oh, we don’t go up to your size here”. **Insert extreme shock, and a few profanities, but only in my head**. I simply gathered up my items, and took them to the car. Now usually, I would have felt defeated, because yet again, society is telling me there is something wrong with the way I look….but instead, I got PISSED OFF! How dare they deny me! What is wrong with “my size?”. Are there not women out there that want a good deal on clothing that are “my size?”. Outrage was an understatement for the way I felt. But it got me thinking: Why is there such a distinction in clothing and fashion? Why don’t designers make clothes to fit EVERYONE? I know that fashion is an artform, and every artists needs their muse, but seriously, I only know about 3 people that are below a size 10. LOL. So in theory, these designers are LOSING MONEY by NOT manufacturing for the masses….imagine how much money would be spent if YSL (Yves Saint Laurent), D&G (Dolce & Gabbana), DVF (Diane von Furstenberg), and Chanel, all made clothing to fit EVERY WOMAN. The fashion houses wouldn’t be able to keep up with the demand!
But what’s even more scary, is that there are young girls out there, who (for whatever reason) aren’t “small”, and they are facing this type of rejection. I’m a grown woman, and it was difficult for me to deal with. So, what are we teaching the generations to come? That they should do whatever they can to be thin, so they can enjoy fashion like everyone else? Or, that they should feel ashamed and damaged because they AREN’T supermodel size? I remember being that teenager….and although my confidence was through the roof (still is…LOL), it was very HARD to see past all those images, and appreciate M-E.
A friend of mine once told me to get my “swagga up” (Swagga is a term used to define your presence…LOL). When I asked him why, he said because there was nothing wrong with me, and that the only person that my size mattered to was me…….now, coming from a man, that was DEEP…..because I had/have confidence issues in that department. He went on to say that men love confidence……and that a confident woman will always trump the skinny woman! LOL.
Wednesday, December 2, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Come on over to Bloomington we have a consignment shop here that takes all sizes.
ReplyDeleteThis was thought provoking especially when talking about our youth. And it was refreshing to hear that comment from your male friend. I'll have to remember that and get my "swagga up"!
Feel free to check out my blog as well. :*)