I'm so excited to back on my Blog Grind again….I've missed the therapeutic feeling of writing whatever comes to my head…or just reflecting on a lesson learned. Writing needs to be a priority of mine in 2011…I need to make sure that I'm always connected to a source of Peace!
On Christmas Day, I was blessed to spend time with some of my extended family. I could not have asked for a better day! One of my "babies" was talking to me about college and said that her Dad said she couldn't go to an HBCU…well right away, that struck a nerve with me. I'm a PROUD graduate of THE Southern University and A&M College! There is NOTHING that anyone can tell me about my school, or any other HBCU that won't set fire to my soul. But I'm trying to be better, so before I reacted, I had to take time to think about what she was saying, and what her Dad was trying to convey. Of course he wants the absolute best for his child, and rightful so, but does that mean that the "best" is NOT an HBCU? Most of my friends graduated from HBCU's and they are extremely successful. I might also add, that MOST of them have at LEAST 2 DEGREES. Yes, that's right, 2…as in more than one. So again, I'm thinking, "What makes an HBCU NOT the best?"
When I was applying to college, I applied to 2 HBCU's and 2 traditional state schools. I was accepted to all, and given scholarship money to all, but Southern University courted me…they took me by the hand, and welcomed me into a family of scholars and professors. I was given an extension of my family…..with the rules and all! I lived in the Honor's dorm, complete with a Dorm Mother (Ms. Owida Martin) and a staff of RA's. Yes, we had a dorm mother, and hunny, Owida DID NOT PLAY. She knew each of us by first and last name, who our "people" were, and our class schedules. LOL. Nothing got passed Ms. Martin….she let us know that we could be "fast" if we want too, but there would be consequences! LOL. Now, most traditional schools don't experience the pleasure of a Dorm Mother, but having Ms Martin around helped us when we were feeling homesick, or just to be a listening ear. It was comforting to have a familiar face at the front desk every time we walked into to the dorm. Let us not forget the RA's that helped us out of trouble! LOL. Shoutout to Rita Perrilloux-Bell….one of the best damn RA's ever!!!
But it wasn't just the at home atmosphere that made me fall in love with Southern, but it was all my academic experiences as well. My very 1st class as a college student was Chemistry 132 with Dr. Moore. Doc was a very gentle spirit, with a very calm voice, but his journey was extremely powerful. Dr. Moore was the 1st African-American to graduate from Princeton with a PhD in Chemistry. So every M, W, F, I got a chemistry lesson from someone that made HISTORY in his field. Dr. Moore could have taken his degrees to any traditional school in the country, but instead, he chose to grant Southern with his expertise. Now if he could make history, and then teach at an HBCU, who am I to be ashamed of making the decision to attend an HBCU?
Of course I'm partial to Southern, because it is where I matriculated, but there is a cluster of HBCUs that offer the same experiences to their students. They teach their students in the field of their choice, and then they prepare them for the reality of life. I don't find it strange or ironic that most of the people that I associate with have graduated from HBCU's….it's a common bond….a love that we have for the experiences we've shared. We know the love of bonding over that Engineering Exam, and the pains of waiting in the Financial Aid line….but even in the trying times, character is built. Had I not experienced what I did at Southern (good and bad), I wouldn't be half the woman that I am now…I wouldn't be driven to continue my education, and continue my quest for knowledge. So 10 years and 2. 5 degrees after I first arrived at SU, I will forever be in debt for the lessons that I've learned. So to me, and for me, there was no other nor better decision I could have made…..and I'll go 13 rounds with anyone that tries to tell me that I'm somehow "less than" because I didn't attend a "traditional" institution. To each his/her own…and I'll let you have that…make the decision for what's best for YOU. But don't EVER tell me that my decision wasn't good enough. Don't EVER let me hear you say that you "forbid" your child from going to ANY school because of some preconceived notion or stereotype you have….don't pass that ignorance on to your children…allow them to explore their options and select what will be right for them. HBCU's are NOT for every college-bound student….but that does not mean they are wrong either…..You will never hear me degrade any institution of higher learning (outside of Grambling State University….LOL), and how much better the world would be if everyone took that same stance!
Tuesday, December 28, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
This was a great read, I'm looking forward to future posts.
ReplyDelete